Chief Knowledge Officer
The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), headquartered in Chicago, Il, has retained Sterling Martin Associates to search for the organization’s Chief Knowledge Officer.
Founded in 1928, AHIMA has served to improve health record quality by taking a leadership role in the effective management of health data and medical records and delivering quality healthcare to the public. AHIMA is the premier association of health information management (HIM) professionals worldwide. AHIMA is committed to advancing the HIM profession in an increasingly electronic and global environment through leadership in advocacy, education, certification, and lifelong learning. AHIMA is recognized as the premier source of HIM knowledge, the respected authority for rigorous professional certification, and one of the industry’s most active and influential advocates in Congress. AHIMA serves more than 50 affiliated component state associations and more than 103,000 health information professionals.
AHIMA is governed by a 13-member Board of Directors that sets strategy and maintains fiscal oversight and fiduciary responsibility. The budget is in the $33M range, and the staff numbers nearly 130 professionals.
For more information, please visit http://www.ahima.org/.
Chief Knowledge Officer
The Chief Knowledge Officer reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and serves as the key management leader for developing and leveraging a comprehensive knowledge management strategy based upon the Association’s strategic objectives. The position is responsible for overseeing the personnel and program administration, as well as the strategic planning for the position’s sphere of influence and how it relates to the organization in accomplishing business objectives.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general direction of the CEO, the Chief Knowledge Officer is responsible for the following activities:
- Developing the organization’s knowledge as an asset and leveraging opportunities to convert knowledge-driven resources into member-serving, and revenue-generating products and services.
- Focusing on strategic analysis, creative problem solving, and innovative solutions while having a thorough knowledge and understanding of existing operations and processes in order to drive initiatives to completion through existing or new workflows.
- Developing a communications strategy using multiple channels that position executive leadership to communicate and engage with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Building and protecting brand reputation.
Background & Experience | Qualities & Characteristics
Qualified candidates will be expected to embrace AHIMA’s mission and to understand the impact that AHIMA has on health information management professionals worldwide. In addition, qualified candidates will be expected to present the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible leadership experience in high-impact, growth, and results oriented position(s).
- Seven to ten years of executive management-level experience.
- A collaborative, strategic, business-oriented mindset
- Subject matter expertise in Health Information Management (HIM) experience strongly desired. Certification, such as RHIA or RHIT a strong plus.
- Evidence of sustained and professional achievements that demonstrate professional growth and use of innovation and creative solutions.
- Ability to convey the vision of AHIMA’s strategic future to staff, board members, volunteers, and members.
- Solid understanding of office communication technology, software applications, and informational tools.
- Demonstrated ability to lead staff and collaborate with stakeholders such as Board members and other volunteers.
- Proven record of successful strategic planning and implementation.
- Ability to plan and operationalize the annual budget for this sphere of influence.
- Transformational leader who has the charisma and experience to inspire growth through their ideas.
- Mission-focus and set of values that mirror those of the Association.
- Deep understanding of the real business drivers.
- Strategic visionary who can navigate the challenges of today and anticipate the challenges of the future.
- Keen ability to lead the organization into a future of profitable growth and success.
AHIMA offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. The organization also offers stimulating work and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current résumé (Microsoft Word® format preferred) to email@example.com. A well-crafted cover letter outlining how your background and experience relate to the position is considered an important part of the candidate review process. All applications will be acknowledged.
AHIMA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status.
For more information, please contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW | Suite 1000 | Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Dan Borschke | Client Partner
Tricia Bork Canavan | Senior Consultant