Senior Director of Global Events
ISPOR, the international professional society for health economics and outcomes research (HEOR), is seeking a Senior Director of Global Events to be based in the organization’s headquarters in Lawrenceville, NJ (near Princeton, NJ). Sterling Martin Associates has been retained to assist with this search.
The Society, with revenue budget of approximately $16 million and a staff of 50, is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field. ISPOR is dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally.
ISPOR’s community of more than 20,000 individual and chapter members from 120 countries includes a wide variety of health care stakeholders, including researchers, academicians, regulators and assessors, public and private payers, health care providers, industry, and patient representatives. The Society’s leadership has served as an unbiased resource and catalyst for innovation in the field for more than 20 years.
For more information, please visit www.ispor.org.
Senior Director of Global Events
The Senior Director of Global Events heads the development and execution of ISPOR’s scientific meetings both in the U.S. and internationally, including development of long and short-term strategies and execution, business plans, budgets, and staff management. The Senior Director of Global Events reports to the Chief Operations Officer and will manage a staff of 10 through two or more direct reports.
The Senior Director will lead the development of ISPORs programs to achieve a high level of attendee satisfaction, operational excellence as well as the achievement of strategic and budgetary goals. S/he will be responsible for the development, management and achievement of meeting budgets, contribute to the strategic direction and achievement of strategic goals of the Society. This position involves traveling approximately 5-7 times per year, primarily internationally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include:
- Leads continued growth and expansion of meeting strategy to achieve financial and strategic objectives and to enhance ISPOR’s reputation as a leader in health economics and outcomes research.
- Leads the professional staff of the ISPOR’s meetings team to achieve excellence and efficiency in meeting content, program design, and operations.
- Oversees the venue selection and contracting process for all meetings.
- Develops cost-efficient and effective vendor partnerships.
- Oversees and develops marketing strategy for ISPOR conferences/meetings.
- Oversees program content selection and develops meeting content.
- Develops support and sponsorship partnership and programs.
- Develop and expand exhibit program strategies and plans that lead to continued growth.
- Develops and maintain key performance indicators for meetings operation and attendee satisfaction.
- Develops and manages department budgets.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of association and meeting best practices.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of trends and good practices particularly related to Associations and meeting strategies.
Requisite Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required preferably in business related field, Master’s or PhD preferred.
- Professional qualification such as CEM, CMP, or CAE and/or active involvement in professional communities strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive work experience in event management, with at least 7 years in a meeting leadership role, preferably in scientific or technical content area.
- Experience of scientific/association meetings and international events and managing large events (3,000+) is required.
- Comfortable working with technical/scientific advisors and teams
- Proven track record of meeting growth, including development of exhibit and sponsorship programs required.
- Proven leadership skills in a matrix/cross-functional team environment with natural affinity for working collaboratively across teams, cultures and experience levels.
- Strong problem-solving, sound judgment and decision making.
- Ability to record and synthesize information and compose reports.
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with precision and effectiveness to drive execution and foster innovation across levels and functions.
- Budget management experience.
- Highly motivated, proactive and problem solver.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines, results orientation.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with and relate to all levels both within and outside the organization.
- Excellent negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Public speaking ability and excellent presentation skills.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, and experience and ability to learn new technology platforms.
- Fluency in a foreign language is desirable.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to the mission of ISPOR.
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive compensation will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate. Competitive benefits package offered which includes employer paid medical insurance for employees and 20 days paid time off.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. A well-written cover letter, outlining how your experience fits the requirements of the position, will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
ISPOR is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Tricia Bork Canavan | Senior Consultant